Re: pledge of allegiance

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:09:09 PDT

another perspective on the pledge:

i like the idea of a ritual, the intent being to unite us by stating commonly cherished beliefs. individual freedom is of utmost importance, but a sense of connectedness, cooperation, and caring for others is just as neccessary. (anyone seen the recent research about how our brains' pleasure centers are stimulated when we help others?)

it seems the problem with the pledge is that it is not seen as accurately reflecting ideals which are most important and commonly held today. the spirit of the ritual, though, i think is very valuable. what if, as a teacher, we asked our classes to come up with their own pledge to say together? i believe students could create a "pledge" consisting of very meaningful shared ideals. i see this type of pledge as an excellent way of aligning ones' self as an individual, as part of the group, and as working toward what we believe to be important. (of course, no one would be required to say it. i think, though, there would be joy and pride for most in doing so, as with the original pledge.)

just an idea -

wendy

---