Re: pledge of allegiance

---------

Madafo_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 06:26:23 PDT

In a message dated 7/25/02 8:29:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
occti@mindspring.com writes:

> ?? “…with Liberty and Justice for all.” ??
>

> Lawrence A. Parker
>
> Philosopher and Educational Consultant
>

> I have nothing against the mention of God, it's the last phrase that has
> always bothered me...
> Peace,
> Madafo ---

As a young African American, I found such phrases hypocritical...the Preamble
to the Constitution is another one...the words are morally perfect but were
and still are exclusive.
As an older man, I understand that in order for America to become what it
professes, the questions must be asked and open and honest dialogue must
commence...understanding that the American ideal is a fraction of the whole
piece. The ideal is a step in the right direction, as it speaks to
mankind's' relationship to the universe..."and Justice for All"..."We hold
these truths to be self evident, that All men are created equal..." As a
child, I learned these words and believed in them...but later learned that
man's words and his deeds can be different entities.
Let us continue to discuss the questions and listen to each other's
perspectives...let us make it our business to come to an understanding and
allow America to become truly "the land of the free." We owe it to those
coming after us.
Peace...

---