Art and Fear Response

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 05:53:57 PDT

I know I am responding a little late to the book club, but here goes.

To me this book required a gestalt approach, I could not respond to
part of the book but to the whole. I found the book to be personally
useful, it has provided me avenues to explore to which may help to
balance my life. By their attempt to explain the obstacles of making
art, they also enlighten me on other areas of creativity in my life that
I have throw obstacles up. I have feel empowered with the thought that
it is not only time management, but fear management that stands in my way.

Now here is some of the avenues, I plan to explore. I will be looking
for personal rituals that will harness my fears, so I can travel on my
path to myself. I will make these rituals part of me, by doing them
often and making them habits. I still have to deal with the time
management elements, but in that time management will be time to deal
with my fears. I will go easy on myself for my failures to stay on
task, I will remind myself that most adventure are written in sequels
and the hardest part is the first step.

One jarring note in the book for me was their statement about artist
that where teachers. Until that point I thought that was the audience
that the book was intended for (OK, so I am self centered) then I was
unsure how this occupation was considered separately from other
"outside" jobs. What I read into it seemed to center around, the fact
that teachers tend to get passionately involved in the job of teaching
and get their time eaten up by paper work. How does this differ for
 other jobs that require commitment? Would you want a job that you were
not committed to? What is your take on this section?

Ellen Silverman

---