Ordering Supplies

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 05:18:00 PDT

Dear Krista,
    I work in a district in which where I order supplies are dictated by
the state and the district. To order for me to order supplies from a
company, the supplier must one have a state provider number and my
district negotiates district wide contracts with one provider. The
district I am in has 8 k-8 schools and one High school, they nogateted
deals with supply companies to have better buying power due to their
volume. This takes the form of special prices for some supplies and an
over all percentage off of the order. So naturally I order most of my
supplies from that company, unless they do not have something I
absolutely need.

    That company by the way is Sax, Judy who works for Sax is one of
our active list servers, she is very helpful and it makes it easier if
you have questions about a product or your order. All and all, I find
Sax a good company to work with, competitive prices, large scope of
supplies, and good customer service.

    If you are starting out you do not have these constraints and/or
advantages. Develop relationships with some of the big supply companies
and work with other schools in the area to get a possible volume
discount contract. Talk to the principal or school board secretary to
see if you have to deal with state provider number suppliers and if any
volume discount contracts have been set up already. I recommend sending
a email to Judy at Sax, she is always helpful.

Ellen Silverman
K-8 Art
New Jersey

Ellen Silverman