Re: Crayola Crayon maker....

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 16:46:48 PDT

I did something similiar - I took my broken crayons and melted them in a tin
can that I placed inside a pan of boiling water. When the wax was melted I
poured the wax into jello molds that I had setting in a pan of ice water.
They have all kinds of neat shapes of jello molds - I have the alphabet,
racecars, shapes, ninja turtles, etc. I never thought about having them
accessible for students to use for grass and sky - I think I'll spend more
time seperating the greens and blues! Great tip! :-)
~Michal

> Seems a pretty steep price for something you can do in your oven. I used
> to take the less than 1/2 crayons home from the museum. I would freeze
> them, and then crush them in to small pieces. Next I would line a muffin
> pan with foil and put the crushed crayons in the muffin pan. Usually I
> would put related colors together, so if the melted to far they wouldn't
> turn brown. I would use a larger pan to make a water bath and put the
> muffin pan inside. I would heat them slowly at about 200 degrees turning
> it up if they wouldn't melt. When the crayons were gooey, I took both
> pans out of the oven and let them cool over night, in the water bath so
> they would cool slowly. The chunky crayons were great for coloring the
> sky, grass, or making posters.

---