RE: Crayola Crayon maker....

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 14:50:37 PDT

Seems a pretty steep price for something you can do in your oven. I used
to take the less than 1/2 crayons home from the museum. I would freeze
them, and then crush them in to small pieces. Next I would line a muffin
pan with foil and put the crushed crayons in the muffin pan. Usually I
would put related colors together, so if the melted to far they wouldn't
turn brown. I would use a larger pan to make a water bath and put the
muffin pan inside. I would heat them slowly at about 200 degrees turning
it up if they wouldn't melt. When the crayons were gooey, I took both
pans out of the oven and let them cool over night, in the water bath so
they would cool slowly. The chunky crayons were great for coloring the
sky, grass, or making posters. They were also good for kids with poor
fine motor skills. They could grip them better. I noticed the kids (pk -
elementary) were more likely to draw a horizon line and bring the sky
down to it and the ground up to it, when they used the chunky crayons.
When I asked them why they choose the chunky crayon for that part,
generally I got two replies. "It's easier/doesn't take as much time" or
"This way I'm not wasting crayons"

BTW - one recipe I saw for this suggested putting the melted crayons in
the freezer to harden them quickly, but those didn't work as well. It
took a lot of pressure to make a mark.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert