Re: Drawing and talking

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 08:49:30 PDT

I have often thought that there is a corrolation between reading and
observational drawing. It requires focus and concentration. Reading brings
images to your mind. Drawing pulls the images out.

I have been doing some studying on typography this summer. I didn't think
typography could be so interesting, but it is really interesting. I just
finished a book by Marshal McClun called, "The Gutenberg Galaxy". He tells
the story of typography and how it changed the way people relate to each
other.

Reading used to be done aloud. When mass printing came into being, people
then began to silence their individual voice and read silently. They
internalized their voice.

If the conversation is about the art being produced would it not be similar
to the old method of reading? This would be connected both sides of the mind.

Kids don't usually talk about what they are drawing in class but it's an
interesting thought.

I love to draw with music on. Drawing out in the public places, the chatter
of the background noise can add to the quality of the artwork almost like
it is infused into the piece.

From a different viewpoint-Potters who work in collectives often chat with
each other while working. The muscles remember the form.

As one becomes more accomplished at drawing the muscles remember lines and
shades too. Sometimes silence is necessary, sometimes not.

Just a thought.

At 12:59 AM 7/22/02 EDT, you wrote:
>As you all know, classes take on a personality of their own. In certain of
>my studio high school classes, talking is no problem while in others talking
>and discipline is a real problem. Also, I find all the classes find it
>difficult listening when the lesson is given and are quieter when they can
>get down to work.
>
>What I'm interested to know is how you set the mood in September. I can say
>great things like "your mouth and your brain work or your hands and your
>brain work" but I doubt they will listen. In some respects I'm teaching
>overgrown middle schoolers. Some of my students could care less if they
pass
>or not. Some have taken the studio class more than once. It only takes one
>or two disruptive kids to ruin a class. So...here I am calmly writing happy
>as a clam knowing that the tension will begin in September. Any helpful
>hints? (Don't get me wrong, I have wonderful students too and love my job)
>
>By the way, I've been working on my masters in art education for years,
>having completed everything but my thesis quite a few years ago. Hurray! I
>handed in my thesis and it was approved. What a relief.
>
>EAC
>
>---

---