Re: drawing bicycles.....

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 01:36:39 PDT

 Excellent ideas all. As to the bicycles, I make it a point to display them
upside down. It's a good way to get students to look at shapes instead of
"this is the handlebar" or "this is the whatever". They find it easier to
look at the unusual shape instead of what they "think" it should look like
as part of a "bicycle". Kinda like the upside down Piscasso drawing
exercise we've all seen.

This leads me to something I've always wanted to try. Have one student lie
down on the table and have another student stand at the first student's
head upside down and draw his portrait. What do you think? Think is would
be a better portrait? Ha.

 Toodles....Bunki ---

Sounds like a terrific approach to "foreshortening". There's a famous
"Rennaissance"--I think--drawing of a body drawn from the bottom of the foot
looking forward to the head. Sorry, I can't recall the artist at the moment.

Judie

---