RE: Field Trip

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 16:55:32 PDT

Ricardo

            First call the museum(s) in your area and get a copy of
their calendar for the next year and their guidelines for school visits
including fees. Then I would take the calendar, Art TEKS, and Social
Studies TEKS for the grade level you are considering taking (better yet
your district curriculum from the TEKS if they have it ready). Highlight
exhibits, Art TEKS, and SS TEKS that overlap. Then try to plan the field
trip around that exhibit. You may find your principal locks you into
either Field Trips in May only (after TAKS) or no field trips between
Jan - April (count down to TAKS). Especially since there are several new
subjects being tested this year in addition to a whole new assessment
test. You might also get the SS teachers on board with the field trip
before approaching the principal.

            As for fees try first to get everything covered by the
activity fund, PTO/PTA money, whatever is available in your district.
Then ask the kids for money especially in poor schools.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Herbert