Re: Making wooden toys.

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 12:46:39 PDT

 perfect!!!!.....this is an example of intuitive,creative education in action.....this is a very good method of teaching valuable and worthwhile 'real life techniques' and skills that will serve your students well in their later professional lives!!!!let other real teachers ,please take this as a lesson plan of great and lasting value!!!!,<eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com>greg sharp from california
  Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net> wrote: Marvin replied to Joe:

> Have you considered making the design of the tool into an assignment?
> Designing the jig seems like a fun optional assignment for students who enjoy
> invention, or for students who want to explore engineering.

This is a wonderful idea and could set up the problem as a whole product
design unit. When I first saw Joe's post, I thought this is such a visually
exciting "toy" why just copy it? If I remember the history, it was made by
a graphic designer. I think that is apparent in the colors and patterns. I
also remember that many of the shapes are organic which is another
woodworking problem. Or does it have to be wood?
Look at Tinker Toys, look at Connex, look at Zola , what are the
similarities and differences? what's the purpose? what's the skill
intended? Why has tinker toy survived and I believe both Connex and Zola are
out of business.
I think what made Zola initially successful was it's eye and touch appeal.
No matter how they are put together they become little art pieces because of
the strong graphics. And ultimately it is more appealing to adults than
children.
I'm thinking for myself here, and thinking I may do an assignment. Design
the tinker toy for the 21st century. Shapes and materials can be anything.
And it will extend to the promotion and advertising of the product. There
are few times I am comfortable doing group activities in art, but product
design is one. The team would consist of the researchers, the designers,
the makers (and inventors), the advertisers and promoters, and the managers.

Thanks Joe and Marvin for getting the wheels turning.
Patty