Re: Foreground/middle/background

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 10:24:01 PDT

When I taught elementary art I would have students create a drawing in two layers. We look at Millet's Gleaners and discussed how he created the illusion of space first. Then we dissected it into foreground and background (I left out middleground, thought it would confuse some kids). Students created there own landscape in crayon, oil pastel or colored pencil--foreground on one sheet of paper with large shapes at the bottom of the page and the background on the other sheet with a groundline high up on the page and smaller shapes and lighter colors. They cut out the foreground as one shape and attached it to the background using 3-d O's creating a low relief drawing.

Patty in KY