Re: drawing and talking

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 08:58:12 PDT

In a message dated 07/23/2002 12:30:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
miss_lavery@yahoo.com writes:

> . I work listening to my rock music or in the college art studio with my
> art student peers and we would often talk while working. I really haven't
> noticed too much of a difference in my own work when I am talking or not
> talking. I work best when I am relaxed and comfortable, which is often
> sitting down, and listening to music or tv in the background or talking
> with friends.

I agree with you- I have also allowed talking in my HS classes. However I
have reviewed my experiences and quality of work and have decided that K-12
students cannot "regulate" their own talking and it OFTEN gets out of hand
causing me to intervene and raise my voice! Because of their inability to
hold back their chatter- I have credited late assignments and less than
expected quality. This year I am enforcing a "soft" voice level (I can't
expect NO talking in a multi-level class that must share supplies) -and no
portable CD players (which I have allowed in the past even though they are
prohibited in school). My only problem is staying consistant throughout the
year -because this is NOT the way I work. I must talk, walk around, take
breaks and listen to music. I personally can tune out distractions but I
must remember- I am not teaching myself- I am teaching adolecents. Most of
them are not focused, are easily distracted, do not have the same goals and
objectives as I or the same standards and discipline. So -to try and better
my students learning, I must make some adjustments in my teaching and
classroom management strategies -then compare and review its effectiveness
along the way.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---