Re: Foreground/middle/background

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:49:11 PDT

in my undergrad art ed program we took methods & materials classes in each
of the mediums (very different from most other programs i know of which are
basically all fine arts classes and one comprehensive methods and materials
for k-12). my painting professor had each of us make a teaching aid to
illustrate fore/middle/background in landscape painting. we used a 14" piece
of 2x4 and three sheets of acrylic 11"x14". we cut 3 lenghtwise slots in the
4" side of the wood at a slight angle so that the acrylic sheets could slide
into them and hold them in place. we painted a foreground on the bottom of
the front sheet, a middleground in the middle of the 2nd sheet, and a
background at the top of the 3rd sheet. when you slide them all into the
base and look at it from the front it appears to be one painting. of course
we used the perspective devices of diminishing size, atmospheric
perspective, etc. it is a very good tool to help the kids understand the
concept of the 3 "grounds" in painting.

linda in mich - the sun's out today!!!