Re: drawing and talking

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 07:37:17 PDT

I truly think we teach how we want to learn. I am a constant ball of chatter (I even talk in my sleep, and when I drive alone), so talking doesn't bother me. I encourage "art talk" in my classroom, but hear all kinds of 'goodies' in between. Kids will hear me ooze with "oh I LOVE it when you talk art", when they discuss their work (which by the way if you give them the vocabularly by using it over and over again, they too will use it!). That said, I must say over the years through their conversations I have been privy to a big part of their lives, and have been able to "help" students along the way (remember I teach HS) in terms of alcoholism, being battered, chosing schools, drug abuse, pregnancy, etc etc etc. (Before you all panic and ask what kind of "help", I speak more in terms of being a facilitator and listener with the student on a one on one basis...sometimes kids just need an adult they can trust to remind them of the 'right' thing to do). I too keep students on track in the classroom (like a large team of horses, I 'hee and haw' to keep the team going). A good example of when it is absolutely quiet is the first time out when they do a contour line drawing of me. You can hear a pin drop. I then have them hold their drawings up over their heads. We all look around at the first attempts, and as one burst out laughing (a sort of release). Generally when working on figures work or on still life, the class is relatively quiet, but when working on longer individual work, the conversations erupt, usually in pairs, or by tables.

San D

---