drawing and talking

---------

From: Marcia Lavery (miss_lavery_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 00:28:23 PDT

Since there has been a lot of discussion on the drawing and talking issue, I thought I'd see what people thought of my viewpoint. I think back to my studio art classes in college and how I work now. I work listening to my rock music or in the college art studio with my art student peers and we would often talk while working. I really haven't noticed too much of a difference in my own work when I am talking or not talking. I work best when I am relaxed and comfortable, which is often sitting down, and listening to music or tv in the background or talking with friends. Some of my college profs would insist that I stand up to paint and that always bothered me, because I was more comfortable sitting and painting (while taking frequent breaks to step back and look at my work from a distance)... I think it's natural for students to talk while they draw or paint, so I really don't say anything to stop them from talking. Of course, if they're socializing too much and not work!
ing, or if it gets too loud, I put a stop to it.