Re: Blinders cure blindness

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 04:44:14 PDT

on 7/23/02 1:20 AM, Marvin P Bartel at marvinpb@goshen.edu wrote:

> Have you have ever tried drawing blinders? I would love to know what your
> experience was. Also, how did you get the idea to use blinders?

marvin, thank you for reviving this idea! i love your pictures of the kids
and the rabbit. i used a "blinder" (i don't remember them having a name) in
a college drawing class and subsequently showed some of my kids how to do it
a few years ago. i made a big scarecrow and set up a fall still life in my
room with a big bale of hay, corn stalks, squash, indian corn etc. the 5th
graders used the blinders to examine (through drawing) any desired portion
of the still life. then i had them do it again on watercolor paper and gave
them a choice: if they chose to do their second drawing as a blind contour,
they would get an automatic "A." if they chose to look at their drawing
while working, i would grade it in the usual way. the desire for that "A"
grade won out over the crisis of confidence you referred to and the drawings
turned into really nice watercolors. i had to leave that still life up in my
room for almost a month so everybody (K-6) did some sort of related project.

only problem was that hay bale was probably the vehicle by which a large
population of mice infested the building and we had to have the
exterminators in SIX times over the course of the year. having brazen little
rodents munching on the kids papier mache projects next february is not
something i want to repeat. so do any of you farm types know how to get the
mice out of the hay before i try that again? i'm having visions of hooking
it to my car with a bungee cord and dragging it to school. LOL.

linda in michigan

---