setting up a still-life

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 10:15:14 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
 no space to set up a still life and leave it for a few weeks. ...small
toys????
linda in michigan ---

I have the kids empty their pockets and arrange their items on a small piece
of white board.
Gabrielle ---
One of my more successful still-life lessons involves having the kids (MS)
bring in used fast food empty containers (french fries, hamburger, drinks)
with scrunched up paper napkins/wax paper. They're given some 9x9" scrap
matboard and each makes their own little still-life by gluing with Elmer's
into a nice arrangement...looking for high, med., and low levels and turning
the sculpture around. When dry, we spray paint them white. (Don't try to
paint with tempera 'cause the paint doesn't stick well to the waxy
surfaces.) These sculptures are used for their first still-life drawings.
Painting them white makes the shadows/high lights show up well.

An idea to take this further would be to paint each sculpture in certain
artist's styles.

I've used them as still-lifes for watercolor pointillism. Toodles.......Bunk

---