Re: Drawing and talking

---------

From: M. Dodge (4boys_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 08:20:08 PDT

Re: Drawing and talking now i'd like to come up with a list of things for them to practice the skills from chap. 4 to make drawings. no space to set up a still life and leave it for a few weeks. ...small toys???? i linda in michigan ---
That's a great idea. I agree with staying away from objects that the students are too familiar with, because they draw what they think they know and not what they SEE. The more time students have to concentrate on the drawing the more time they utilize the creative right hemisphere. I like to point out to students when they are all quiet and concentrating on drawing. When the class is quiet for awhile, I say, "Look, notice how no one is talking. That's because you are all using the right hemisphere of your brain. See how I isn't easy to talk." Then throughout the year, when they should be drawing or painting, but they are too noisy, I say, " You can not talk and concentrate on drawing at the same time" and they get back to work.

Another project I do is to make two copies of a painting or drawing. One of these cut into squares, or to be more difficult, irregular puzzle-like shapes. Cut enough so each student has one piece. Students should then recreate this part of the drawing or painting. When everyone is done, put pieces together. Compare to the other copy. Rarely do all the pieces match the original, but all the students try very hard. And the final completed work ALWAYS looks interesting.
Martha

---