Re: Displaying Student Art

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 20:09:44 PDT

In a message dated 07/19/2002 8:14:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
menichino@infoblvd.net writes:

> when do you find time to hang all the work? Do you have any tricks for

Yes- I staple middle school work to tag or railroad board allowing it to
"frame" the picture as they turn in their work for grading. Once I grade it-
I attach these little clips that have wax on the back and stick them up where
I want them. I use my lunch, planning and after school time to put these up.
 Sometimes I have students help -but that depends on my time frame and
patience at the time. I only have two sizes at the middle school level that
I work with- 9x12 and 12x18 original work matted to a piece of railroad board
either 11x 14 or14x20 respectively. Once I have the locations- the clips
stay in place and then I just change out the artwork (because its the same
size). For variety- I do have bulletin boards and cases where I may feature
the work of a particular class or medium in a different format (3D). It does
take an enormous amount of time- but I am willing to do it. The kids love to
see their work up around the school as well as the parents, teachers and
visitors. I feel this is an important aspect of my job as it helps to
promote my program.
-At the HS, I upgrade the displays a bit for art 2-6. I buy "pebble" mats in
various sizes and require final artwork to be backed and matted. This is
presented as a lesson so students must do their own. My art 6 students are
the only ones who actually cut their own matts. At the HS, I also use my
planning, lunch and after school time to set up the displays. It is just
what I have to do to get it done.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---