Afghanistan

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 19:15:20 PDT

I found the site below on another list that I get. Artists are coming back
to Afghanistan; to document to rebuild. It's wrenching to think about the
despair and devastation this nation has been through. The arts (that were
denied for so many years) will be part of the healing process. The site is
under construction, but if you can, take a minute to look at the photo
section (in the gallery). And if you read a little you will see how happy
the artists are just to be able to make a video. How for granted do we take
that.
Some one asked recently if we should be asking our students to make
political statements in their art. I can't imagine not. Making statements
is such a part of their culture. They make statements everyday with their
music, their dress, their body piercings, their body gestures. We are so
lucky to be were we can make statements.

Patty

http://www.cacakabul.org/

Centrum Arts & Culture Afghanistan Kabul

During the 30 year long war a new generation has been born in
Afhanistan. The deepest wishes and desires of this generation are for a
well-founded and safe future. The professions to which they aspire vary
from doctor and engineer to teacher, journalist and writer.
Unfortunately, in actuality they look for their salvation in the
viscious circle in which they were raised. This is a circle of war,
despair, fear and death. Too often one turns to violence instead of the
pen. For years their aspirations were made impossible because of the
Taliban regime. This period is finally over since the regime's power
structure has fallen. After 23 years of oppression and war, the children
of the future of Afhanistan can start building a new life, for their own
furture and for the future of Afghanistan.

---