Re: Elementary Sketchbooks

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 08:09:28 PDT

Hi Jackie --
I have my 3rd graders make sketchbooks which are then kept in the art room
till they leave at the end of 5th grade. We use manila folders, 30 sheets
of manila paper, I have them stick in a couple of sheets of graph paper, and
some handouts with info and pictures of some famous artists. Also a
creativity exercise handout and some colored construction paper as a front
and back page. They write their names along the spine and across the front
of the folder (it amazes me how many 3rd graders still don't get the right
way to open a book -- even after I demo --and put their names in the wrong
place!!). I borrow a monster stapler from the librarian and staple thru the
whole business. I made boxes to fit from old corrugated cardboard boxes --
so each class has an open box facing out from the storage shelf and they can
see their names along the spine. Beginning of the year we reorganize them
to the next grade level homeroom classes. They really like to get their
books out when their work is done, and we of course use them for note
taking, sketching, idea hatching. Does take up room, though!

Liz in rural NY, who is finally getting summer house chores done and can
respond to artsednet, and perhaps pick up some pastels too!
menichino@infoblvd.net

P.S. Jackie -- how neat that your homeroom teachers support the art program
(probably your influence?) I'm thrilled if I hear a teacher ask the kids
what they did in art class or respond with anything other than "put your
work in your cubbies and come sit down" when I return them to class.....
Any suggestions on getting integration and cooperation to be more easily
accomplished?