Re: Why hang onto students art

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 07:49:12 PDT

Yes, Wayne, I think it is more meaningful for the elementary kids to take
their work home as soon as possible. I teach K-5 and find that the little
guys live for the moment and the process and product are so much more
important to them if it's not old news. I have a bit of trouble coming up
with work for our annual art show if I don't make it a point to "borrow"
some during the year, but I prefer to send it home with the kids. That way
they can tell their folks what it was about before they forget! Besides, I
like walking a class back to their homerooms and seeing them spontaneously
showing other students in the halls what they just made and getting positive
that but their art teacher preferred to keep it till the end of the year.
It wasn't always in very good shape when it got home!
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net