RE: Fwd: storage/management of sketchbooks/portfolios

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 07:53:29 PDT

        As a classroom teacher, I love the idea of being able to extend
the content of art class into my lessons. I'm working on my descriptive
writing unit right now.

        I'm going to have students take close up shots of different
objects with my digital camera. Then they are going to describe the
object in a paragraph. The final paragraphs will be displayed on the
wall with the photographs around the display. Then we are going to
challenge the principal, AP, Special Teachers and other staff members to
match the written description with the photograph. My goal is to
increase students' vocabulary in describing color and texture.

        I was racking my brain for a way to do the same for positions in
space. The answer was so obvious; we could sketch something or someplace
(the courtyard would be perfect) then describe it in a paragraph. Lets
see I could use masking tape like marks in a movie numbering them. The
students could randomly draw numbers from a hat. Each student would then
find his/her space in the court yard. They would be able to turn any
direction but choose a view from that spot. (Prevent all the little
groups from forming up in different corners). We could spend one class
sketching, and another writing a rough draft out in the courtyard. We
could do some of the revisions back in the room, and then do the final
revisions back in the courtyard.

        According to the 4th grade G&T teacher next years group is
extremely Gifted in art, and gets the best results when art is
incorporated into the lesson. Last years group was extremely verbal, and
had high math skills - but except for skits was afraid of art because
there is no right answer.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert