RE: Storing students arwork

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 07:30:30 PDT

Wayne,
        I think Woody suggested PowerPoint or HTML (HTML is the language
used to create WebPages) to create a digital portfolio, because it is a
way to present the work in an organized way and include artist
statements linked with the specific work.

        Think of a file of pictures on your hard drive as a shoe box
full of unlabeled photographs very little information. The same
photographs in PowerPoint or a Web page is more like a real portfolio -
organized with additional information if the artist desires.

        As for which format is better, it would depend on purpose and
set up. One advantage of PowerPoint is that it is basically linear. You
present the information in the order you want. You can also set it to
loop at set intervals, and display it on a projector. A disadvantage is
that not everyone has PowerPoint and a viewer would have to be
downloaded to show it.

        An advantage of HTML is that it is more accessible anyone with a
browser can access it. You do have less control over the final product,
because much depends on the browser, and individual settings on the
computer being used to view. You obviously can post it to the internet
or just save it to a disk. Web Pages are non-linear people usually can
jump ahead or back, but that can be changed by the way you arrange your
links.

        I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert