Re: Fwd: storage/management of sketchbooks/portfolios

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 07:23:50 PDT

All my project samples are at school and we can't get in due to remodeling.
Two cover ideas that I did my first or second year teaching was 1) Matisse
style and 2) primary/geometric. The Matisse style one I did again with 6th
grade last year and it is very successful. Students glue down 6 colored
squares on black or gray cover paper. I discuss how this is the large shape
and that good design must have small, medium, and large shapes. Then we
create 3-4 medium size geometric shapes and glue those on our squares. Then
they create 5-6 organic shapes medium size and glue these down. They must
have several areas of overlap. Before adding small shapes I have them all
look for contrast - most will have ignored this. Small shapes are added and
then any finishing touches students feel they need to add. Although this is
very structured, all covers end up looking very different, yet all have that
Matisse feel.
    The second style cover that is also very successful is done on gray or
black paper and using only primary colors and geometric shapes. Again, I
emphasize that their designs must have 3 sizes, overlap, and here I insist
that their shapes must touch 3 different edges of the paper. By limiting
their choices it forces them to really focus on the elements of good design.
I have done this with as low as 3rd grade. Inside I have had the students
create flip pockets (folded squares, overlapped) - on the outside of the
pocket write the element, flip it open and draw that element and describe
it.
     I have bound them with brads, but much prefer the spiral binder.
Pictures can be sent this time next month if you are still interested.
~Michal

> I am getting some great results back on the elementary
> sketchbooks. I was hoping someone took photos of some students
> sketchbooks to share.

---