Re: Why hang onto students art

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 17:05:30 PDT

i keep most of the kids work for 2 reasons: first i choose the best of it
for the spring art show. you all know that once you send it home you'll
never see it again. the second reason is i want them to save it and remember
it. my kids come from homes where there is very little structure and much
upheaval and (in my view) misplaced values. if i sent the work home
piecemeal, it might go on the fridge for a while and then get pitched. or
mangled in the backpack. or lost in the closet or drawer. my solution: we
ceremoniously make individual portfolios at he end of the year. decorate one
side, and write about "things learned" on the other. all the work goes
inside and a big deal is made of keeping the valuable work protected just
like professional artists do. the portfolios are made from large
construction paper and color coded by grade level. i have 6th graders who
still have their collection of portfolios from Kdg on.

linda in michigan

---