Re: Elementary Sketchbooks

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 06:47:56 PDT

hi jackie,

i have done sketchbooks 1-6 at various times but have the same problems with
storage as betsy. they make the class folders very bulky and when you have
30 or so folders full it is impossible. also i agree w/ betsy that if
someone told me i HAD to do them...well..unnerved is a good word : ))

personally, i've found that the younger kids being more process oriented,
get more out of making the book than collecting their work over time. and
they make books all the time in their classrooms so using an art period to
do that seems like squandering our precious time.
last year i had 5th and 6th make sketchbooks as a book making activity and
we sewed them. i had the kids at each table stack up their sets of folded
11x17 xerox paper with stickie notes to divide them. then i used a cordless
drill to make 6 small holes through the fold in all the sets at once. the
kids sewed them with tapestry needles and string and glued on a 12x18 piece
of construction paper for the cover. they really enjoyed the book making.
afterward i did a betty edwards "drawing on the right..." unit . they also
used the books for preliminary designs, etc as others have mentioned. for
storage i tried using dishpans and paper grocery bags. both of these held
the books nicely but then i had to find a place in my crowded room to put 8
of those.

i also wanted to mention that 4 or 5 years ago i compiled and posted a
really long list of sketchbook assignments sent in by members that ran the
gamut of grade levels. it was quite comprehensive. i couldn't find it in the
archives but i think - i hope! - it's on my computer at school. if anyone's
interested in it i may be able to retrieve it if i go to school as planned
next week.

linda in michigan

---