interview tips

---------

From: ||LogoHouse.com|| (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 17:53:13 PDT

>>I would like to hear some advice on interviewing to teach photography in
high school<<

I teach Video Production/Studio Production, at the high school. I did teach
Digital Photography, but too many students signed up for video, so I teach
all Video classes, beginning and advanced.
See the link to the Digital photography site below.
This year I am integrating a audio DJ/audio set up/Mixing station so the
kids can play/spin/scratch live music directly to our lunch/commons area
during lunch...This should be interesting as I have ordered a complete DJ
set up and since I teach TV, we will also have a Live video feed of the DJ's
out to the big screen in our commons...

As for the interview.....
Wow them, and know your stuff.

Since all of the above are Visual Media, that is what I came prepared to
show when I interviewed for the position....A full multi-media presentation.
It takes some time and effort but it will pay off.
I brought in two boxs of my photo work on one of those little portable hand
trucks that fold up, a couple of demo tapes for video, my plaques from
awards I have won and few odds and ends. I spread them out across 4
tables...
Looks good like that, (it helps to scout the room prior to your interview to
make sure you have access to power/screens/etc
Some of the questions were provided ahead of time so my presentation was
done on both power point and color overheads answering those questions and
telling the interview team who I was.....(Now I only use Powerpoint for ALL
my presentations. I also use the web and my various websites to present
also.
If you use powerpoint, DONT fill it full of the swishing/moving pages and
every sound that available to add. It really detracts from YOU....You are
selling YOU....

Bring as much as you can to show that you know your subject. Explain the
different techniques used in various pictures, ie/ compositional elements
etc.
I integrated some of my work into the answering the questions also, you
know, show and tell....

If you can, do some background work on the other/same/similar programs in
the district and see how you can fit your philosophy etc into the districts
philosophy and tie it all together...It show you did some homework!!
The web is beautiful for this as many departments have information up on the
web for you to utilize. Even tie that in too...Use the web as a showcase for
student work, sell that...The web is powerful and the kids love it...its a
virtual
portfolio for the world to see....

There you go...
I am sure people can add more...and I suppose I could add more too...
But, SELL YOU!! and all the you know and do!!

Good Luck....
Gary. O
my teaching partners Digital Photography website is:
http://digimg.erhs.org/ check it out, it is a huge resource we started and
he has completed.
www.erhstv.com
www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/high/emerald