Re: interview

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 17:20:09 PDT

--- ArtEMailbox@aol.com wrote:
> hi there
> i would like to hear some advice on interviewing to
> teach photography in high
> school. i have an interview tomorrow and would like
> to be better prepared
> with some advice from those whove been there!
> thanks
> adriane

I've been on a couple myself lately and everytime
there's been a very different approach.

The portfolio does seem to be a big deal for high
school departments.

One school selected 2 images and asked me how I would
address them in the classroom.

Another asked me to tell about a lesson I'd given that
I was particularly proud of.

The thing that came up at the last time was how I'd
organize the curriculum - I thought this was sort of
indicated by the work I brought to share. I also
tried to explain that I'd be happy to go along with
the department guidelines - meaning I'd build on what
students had learned in art I or Drawing, but I could
tell I wasn't being as clear as the interviewer was
looking for me to be. So, for next time, I'm trying
to get general foundation down on paper....although
this may never be an issue again.

It may be something you want to consider though. At
least be prepared to say what you'd begin with and
where you'd go from there.

Good luck on the interview!
Dawn