post to list on ele. sketchbooks.

---------

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 07:24:39 PDT

I said I would send information on sketchbooks as I got it.
Betsy sent this to me.

Hi Jackie, I do not have pictures of our sketchbooks, but did
them with
grades 3-6 last year. We used 9x12 white drawing paper for the
covers
and folded zerox paper for the pages ( tight budget). Then used
the
three hole punch and yarn to complete- they could decorate the
covers as
they wished. I am writing to tell you of some of the problems I
had- I
didn't let the sketchbooks leave the room unless they were
absent for a
lesson,( most of the kids would forget to bring them back- I
only see
them once a week) so I had to keep track of all of these
sketchbooks- I
had them bundled by class, but it was a Royal pain in the behind
storing
these!!!!
Way too many!!! For me, if someone mandated that I do these,
withour
considering the logistics of each teachers room, numb ber of
classes, I
would be unnerved. I will still be doing sketchbooks, but ONLY
for 3-6,
and I am already sweating about where I am going to keep them..
Just
wanted you to know my thoughts.
<What do you have
your lower elementary students do in sketchbooks.>
We would use them to sketch ideas for our work, sketch
thumbnails of
other artists work, or simble assignments such as hand, shoe,
etc.

Betsy

Jackie Aust
Director of Visual Art(K-12)