sand mandalas

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 13:48:25 PDT

I've tried these several times. The best sand mixture
I have used was salt and powdered tempera. Dying sand
with anything liquid is murderous. I would not
recommend it. A friend of mine spray painted sand
once. It smelled so gross. I used food coloring once.
Clumpy clumpy clumpy. Even the powdered tempera idea
isn't great. If you are trying to apply colored sand
to a flat surface with glue in any particular
recognizable shape, it is very hard. My students
thought it was a cool idea, but most were very
disappointed with the clumpy results. It also has a
tendency to dry and fall off in clumps. For younger
kids I would recommend coloring on sandpaper, I hear
that looks good. For the older ones, I would mix
powdered tempera with sand and make an impermenant
design outside, which is more like the traditional
sand paintings anyway. You could use rocks and other
natural materials in your mandala, also, if you did it
outside. I don't even want to walk outside here- where
it is close to 100 degrees (Raleigh)

Jayna