Re: "Why don't you help me?"

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 10:57:13 PDT

 maggie get the cork out of your regal behind;what you need to do is encourage every student to the level they are able with the intellectual tools THEY have to create works of art to enhance and empower them;not crow about their inferiority to you!!!this which i do not see at all clearly illustrated!remember this:only the good teachers are remembered!you must'n't forget who you are working for;the kids in the seats are paying your salary......give them their god- damned money's worth!! this from<eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com>greg sharp from california ! put a bandage on the big ones,looks like the 'little ones' will have to heal themselves!
  Maggie White <mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com> wrote: PrimaryE@aol.com wrote:

> I'm curious as to how you all would answer a student in a high school studio
> class who is demanding of help and feels that you should tell her how to do
> her artwork. I have said things like....I think you'll get more out of what
> you're doing if you do it your self. Or...answers like...What do YOU think?
> Some students think that when we don't tell them what to do, that we're being
> lazy. Any ideas? EAC

I am SO glad to hear that other teachers are hearing this line, too; why
do I always think it's only my students who do this sort of thing?

Fred Jones' book has some good ideas for the "Helpless Handraiser." I
also try to put the onus on the student by making him repeat the
assignment (or at least what bits he heard), what has he tried so far
("and by the way--WHERE IS YOUR SKETCHBOOK AND WHY ISN'T IT OPEN AND
WHERE ARE YOUR NOTES?!"). I continue to probe his little mind and can
ascertain pretty quickly if it's an actual not-understanding-the-lesson
or an actual do-my-thinking-for-me problem, in which case I tell him I
already have my own thinking to do and don't want to do his. Very
occasionally a mommy will complain that I won't help her baby, but I let
her know that it's time for him to think for himself and become more
independent. Most parents here respect art so I don't get many
complaints.

Maggie