GO ADVOCACY!

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (imaniyo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 10:53:20 PDT

Christine,

My eyes filled up with tears reading your words. I was also was happy to
see the link sent by Woody and to read how we all are out there making a
difference. Christine,you are right about our need to have grandiose self
advocacy for our work in the classroom and our profession. I think
crossing disciplines and making the discourse of art education everyone's
concern is essential to our growth, visibility and power.

I wonder if we could all check in on September 9, 2002 with the names of the
art and education organizations we belong to and a list of five things we do
to advocate for our field, as well as a list of maybe two interdisciplinary
projects, allies or conversations you've had with your local and/or state
colleagues about what you do in the classroom.

I would be willing to bet that if we shared this information with the local
, state and national education, art education and curricular standards
committees we'd make some ripples and boost our professional self-esteem.

By the way what did you all think about the art and specials(music,
dance,etc.) teach off idea? The idea was that we could collectively not
teach one day across the nation or cover all the artwork in our classrooms
and school buildings.

I look forward to reading more inspiring call to actions, advocacy reports
and more.

I LOVE THIS LIST!!!

Yolanda