Re: How to folder/portfolio

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 05:41:53 PDT

Joe,

Portfolios are required for our art students to keep their work in
throughout high school, which provides them with a bank of work (as well as
a history of how their work has progressed) to pull from when they take
advanced or AP work their senior year. Most if not all college art
programs these days require students to have a portfolio.

Don't know what kind of budget or materials you have at your disposal, but
you could use pieces of cardboard (either taped together or folded in half,
if you have a pieces large enough--when folded it should be a bit larger
than the largest piece that the students will produce, i.e. 18" X 24").
Keep in mind that cardboard will take up more storage room if you have
large numbers of students.

Two pieces of posterboard taped together also works well (The standard size
of posterboard will also certainly accomodate a wide range of sizes of
finished art work and keep everyone's portfolio consistent in size.) You
could even color coordinate classes by using different colors for each
group, etc.

Try some frame shops, they always have scrap matboard that many of them
will donate, and some pieces may be large enough to meet your needs.

Hope this helps.

Judie

>Hey everyone,
>
>Getting ready for the coming year and was wanted to begin the year with
>having the students construct a folder/portfolio that will hold their
>work. The purpose of the portfolio is to hold their work after it is
>complete, use as a record of how they have progressed, and when we are
>have done messy projects like oil pastels or charcoal they can turn their
>work inside the portfolio so to not mess up other students work. My
>students will be beginning art students at the high school level.
>
>Now my question is to how to construct this folder/portfolio in an
>inexpensive way and how others use portfolio in their classes? I tried
>the archives but couldn't locate much information.
>
>Almost time to go back! Waaaahoooo!
>
>Blessings,
>Joe

---