Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 21:55:07 PDT

I contributed to some of the 'offense' and issues about the "keeping
entertained" thread and I don't want to act like I haven't read all the

It was Ken's post tonight, though, that has caused me to write
> I have 34 -35 students with only 30 desks and two small tables. 95 min blocks
> of time every other day. I can't sit down or rest for a moment if not for
> questions its for supplies or critiques or ?????? The only time for me is
> after school and then I have to kick kids out. I will work on examples and
> sometimes I finish them. Prepare for the next day and go home by 4:30 or 5
> p.m. BTW I have four classes of mixed levels with one having three.

I think the use of the word entertained was probably unfortunate. All of
us have TOO much to do. Many of us are in the situation that Ken describes
(and all the others who expressed such) And none of us can walk in
another's shoes (please forgive the cliche).
My intention was not to suggest that there are not times when the kids are
working and on task and maybe you have an opportunity relax a bit. We get
those moments. But for most of us they don't come that often.
When I read what Kathy said about kids in her class carving and choking
themselves... I had to wonder where her entertainment is. Most of us in
the public schools are faced with these kinds of situations day in and day
out period after period. Maybe not as severe as this but certainly special
needs that need special attention.
I love my time in the classroom. And I don't envy anyone's sense of
entertainment. Go for it.
I hope this thread can be dropped now -- all that can be said has been said
and I'm sorry if I offended
Patty

---