rifles as object d'art

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 18:41:45 PDT

I am the silly non violent person that doesn't go to movies because I can't
bear it. That said, I was fascinated by the guns at a museum in Montana that
had the history of firearms. While I intuitively and intellectually
understood their killing power (and consequently their history), I marveled
at their design and craftsmanship. I would allow my students to use them as
objects d'art, if and only if they could justify it in a well thought out
thesis statement. (Objectifying a weapon is one way of taking away its
power- might be a thesis statement. Notice I did not say 'glorifying'.) But
death and destruction can be shown quite readily sans weapons...Guernica by
Picasso is a case in point. Although I will admit that The Shooting of 3 May
be Goya is pretty powerful stuff with the rifles.

San D

---