Re: "school appropriate"

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 15:18:29 PDT

Kathleen Shilson wrote:

> Hats being worn in the classroom is a hot topic in our school. Most parents
> in our district have them on as they walk into our school.. they never take
> them off even when they walk into the classroom. And obviously the students
> see this and will defy you "why should I take my hat off when the parents
> have them on" I get this all the time..or.. "wearing my hat doesn't affect
> my work" My principal wants a NO wearing of hats policy.

Hats are worn by most of the males here, too. We did away with
hat-wearing in the building about 8 years ago, when we discovered that
certain logos indicated gang involvement (or wannabe status, at least).
We also noted that many of the boys would keep their heads down to avoid
being identified in the hallways. Also, taking your hat off in a public
building is just a sign of respect for the institution--they would never
be allowed to wear their hats in court (though around here, they wear
them in church).

Maggie

---