pledge stuff

---------

From: ||LogoHouse.com|| (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 14:30:59 PDT

In our district ( I teach at the high school), our H.S. kids are not
required to say the pledge. If they want to 'not' say it(opt out), they can
remain seated, remove their hat and stay silent. That is all that is
required. Only a few kids opt out, Many times the other kids give them dirty
looks if they don't stand. Many kids will stand, but not say the pledge as a
1/2 opt out .
We do our pledge during our daily morning tv news cast. And it works well
and it only takes about 15 seconds to do.
I have heard some schools (not ours) make the kids stand in the hall if they
do not want to say the pledge, which to me is exclusionary and can be even
more embarrasing for kids, especially elementary kids.

G. Oz.

====

> > Do I think a student should be forced to say the pledge? Of course not,
but
> > I am having a hard time understanding how it can be unconstitutional
when a
> > citizen of a country pledges allegiance to that country.

---