Fire Drills was RE: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 12:47:45 PDT

Last year every time we had an on purpose fire drill my kids were in the
bathroom. Now our building really only has one feature I don't like the
boys and girls bathrooms are on opposite ends of the cafeteria. So on
day the AP walked by got this strange look on his face and told me to
get my kids back to the room. We had just come in from the playground,
so I thought they had sounded a "Mr. Rogers" alert (if there is an
intruder in the building they do an all school call for Mr. Rogers to
report to the office never has happened just in place in case there is a
problem). I hustled the kids back into the room, and the alarm goes off.

Later in the year the alarm goes off at dismissal time & it is pouring
down rain in buckets. Turned we are standing out there in the rain -
Coach starts loading busses from the classes standing on that side of
the building to get those kids out of the rain. Turns out one of the PK
students pulled the alarm in the gym. The next day my whole class
announced as Superstars. The 1st grade and Special ed teachers had
nominated them, because with out anyone asking they had gathered the
younger kids up at the edge of the concrete (we are suppose to go to the
fence but the water was ankle deep) and used their umbrellas and jackets
to keep the rain off the little ones.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert