Re: Fwd: Re: "school appropriate"

---------

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 12:38:34 PDT

I do see both sides of this topic. I have done this only twice
when I tried everything else. I called the parent, discussed
the issue with them. It is hard for me to say no on some
things, when I see what a true artist has the right to express
out of the education system. I have had a conference with
parent, student, and principal, we allowed the student to work
on it in private, but was never displayed. It was like meeting
half way. The student was an excellent students, wanted to have
free expression, parents were some concerned, but also were
those that allowed students to express freely. The family
communicated all the time. The principal agreed that as long as
it was done in private, without peer interaction, was not
displayed and parents understood all, we let the student sit in
another room to do this. He only did this for a free project.
When I stipulated subject matter in others, he worked with me.
Basically, no I do not let students just do anything, I have the
same dicussions also. Hey, I paid for my college and had to
put up with a student in my studio painting class who used the
"F" word all the time in his work, yes offensive, but his own
expression. You see, you can work through all situations if you
just think about it some, Gee-I am using my HOTS.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

unknown

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street