Re: pledge

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 12:25:33 PDT

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> Do I think a student should be forced to say the pledge? Of course not, but
> I am having a hard time understanding how it can be unconstitutional when a
> citizen of a country pledges allegiance to that country.

A few students are not allowed by their religion to say a pledge to
anything
but their God. Most people don't object to "a pledge", only to certain words.
Some of us do not share christian religious beliefs and correctly object
to the
"Under God" as imposed recognition of religion upon all of us. Although
I would not
bother to take it to court, it is just to minor an issue, and there are
so many
more things that need to be dealt with in society; like poverty, hunger, decent
housing, jobs, health care and funds for schools, etc.
                                        My thoughts, Woody in KC

--
This one soars: