Re: sketchbooks and motivation

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:27:27 PDT

My sketchbooks are simply drawing paper that we bind on a binding machine
with tagboard covers. Students can add or remove paper on an as needed
basis. I assign out-of-class weekly drawings on assignments that I give
them. They are also required to bring them to class daily. They write all
class notes, quotes, personal critiques, etc. in these. They are allowed to
write down song lyrics, poems, ideas, doodles, magazine pictures,etc. as I
want them to use them. I am getting a new computer in my classroom this year
so I will borrow the idea of taking digital pictures of student work, then
the students can write about their work. I give X # of points per
assignment. I have used these in the high school for 8 years now and this
year I am going to add journals to my middle school.
~Michal

> I used to have the students turn in sketrch books but the quality was so
> poor that I resorted to sketching in class,every class no matter the
media.
> I again want to have sketchbook assignments this year. will some of you
> share your sketchbook idea,/ or how they work in your classroom?

---