Re: sketchbooks and motivation

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:12:41 PDT

How varied are your assignments? I will give 3-4 traditional assignments
(draw your bedroom while sitting on your bed, draw a view through an open
door, draw a table setting, etc). To add some variety I will then assign
them to draw a bugs eye view of under their bed, design a tattoo for someone
famous, draw the color red without using only a #2 pencil, etc. These are
alot more creative and the students enjoy them, but I try to space them out
as the quality is usually not as strong as the drawings from observation.
~Michal

> I have a pretty basic question about sketchbooks. I have my secondary
> students draw at home in them for an hour a week, with a specific
assignment
> relevant to classwork, giving the assignment a week in advance. By the end
of
> about 8 weeks most of the drawings are LESS interesting, and of less
quality.
> Is there a way to keep up the momentum? Increasing credit to 2x credit
> occasionally seems to spur them on. But the fact is that drawing is work
and
> they don't want to work as hard as I would like.

---