Re: "school appropriate"

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:07:14 PDT

I am more controlling of my middle school student's subject matter than I am
of my high school students due to maturity levels. I tell all of my students
that we are using tax payer money and therefore must be conscious of what we
use that money for. I go with the "school appropriate" theme as well,
telling them if they can't wear it on a t-shirt to school then they can't
create it in the art room. I do have one exception - my high school students
are given alot more freedom in their journals, as long as it fits the
criteria of the assignment. They may write and draw what they want. My only
stipulation is that they understand that I will be looking at their journals
and if I find something truly offensive and the student cannot defend why it
is in their journal then we throw that page away. I have never had to do
this, but it makes the students stop and think about why they are
drawing/writing what they are.
~Michal

> Just as clothing should be school appropriate (no depictions of alcohol,
> tobacco, drugs, sex, weapons, or violence) we have to be careful about
art
> subjects in school. I know this is touchy. We tell them EXPRESS
YOURSELF,
> then put limits on what they may say, but I like my job and want to keep
it.
> The kids understand if I put I this way.

---