How I use sketchbooks (long)

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 07:56:18 PDT

Ann asked us to share sketchbook strategies, and I
really like the way mine works with my students. Every
time I introduce the next lesson I have terms,
artists, movement or skill (with small demonstration)
posted on the dry erase board under the date and
course (Comp 2D etc.). They students are required to
copy that information in their sketchbook following
the lecture. I must see their work in their sketchbook
before they can get any supply for the assignment.
This gives everybody a grade in the grade book (and we
work together to ensure total comprehension so most
everyone receives a check--I grade by a check
system)and is an oral review/relationship building
strategy. I use it all year, the students know it
(starting year 3), and I enjoy it. I tell my students
the language is not used everyday, the terms may have
multiple meanings, and it is information worth saving.
If I have mixed classes I have the higher kids show me
in their work what we are discussing in class (I know
they already have the info.--unless it is a transfer
student, they copy). You won't have any of the "free
time" being discussed in another thread, this will
keep you movin'! By the way, some students never do
get a sketchbook, all year they have none. I always
keep a low grade paper (newsprint) out so they can do
the assignment, and I use the moment to lecture about
the importance of the sketchbook. They politely smile.
 :)
Cindi