approriateness/peace pipes

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:47:14 PDT

I take the time to explain the patronage system to my students when it comes
to censorship. Basically if you accept money for your work (and they are
since taxpayers are paying for their supplies) the PATRON can set the rules,
and in essence owns the work. So, our school says no drug or sex related
work, and therefore they can't do that within the confines of school. But
what I always tell them with tongue firmly planted in cheek, "If your mother
wants to pay for your supplies so that you can paint a large marijuana leaf
on your wall at home, well go ahead, but it's not happening here in the art
studio".

As for the drug stuff, I KNOW what they are doing (even though I am an 'old
lady at 53), and after I have given my conversation about Patronage, and No
Drug or Sex Related art, and they continue to build their bongs, pipes, or
whatever, I let them. Then when it is time to fire the piece, "oh silly me,
I dropped your work" happens, usually right in front of the class and
specifically the kid who worked all semester on it. You only have to do that
once, and stare the kid down, and well, you solidify your reputation.

Should I tell you all about the time a kid was in the back of the art room
making a large breast out of clay, and I announced "Hey kids it's walking
field trip time! Lets go back and have Richard explain what he intends to do
with one large breast out of clay". Poor Richard couldn't find a hole big
enough to crawl into, I had a good laugh, and this time I didn't have to "oh
silly me" it. P.S. Richard ended up taking all of the art classes available.

San D

---