Re: "school appropriate" Long

---------

From: mike delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 07:21:50 PDT

Joe was refering to the clay pipe and bong type of projects. I too have resorted back to them breaking in the kiln or just not making it to the kiln. When I go to the councelor or the principle with this issue at my school this past 2 years nothing was done about it. The police said that we can't accuse them of making drug paraphanalia because it isn't until it is used. I had him look at a few pieces and he shoed me how they would be used and said a couple of projects were "One hitters". He said we would get in trouble by saying the student was going to use it for that. He suggesteed to take it to the principal. The principal said leave in office, he would contact parents. No one was contacted, etc. The first clue that they were making something like that is when they bring in friends that do not even take art to see their project. Then others in other classes have heard about the cool whatever it is and want to see it. The make got power through this attention. The maker in the classroom also got attention or gave out the message that they were knowledgeablke about such things or were want- a- be s.They always were within the guidlines of the project but a hole was hidden in the decoration or was put in right before putting back to be fired. I always caught them but sometimes after a bisque. Yeah so what if they had to take a "0" like the councelor said to do. They got the info about themselves out to their peers. It seems like our administration looked the other way for so long that this past year when we got a new principal she took a no tolerance stance and a lot were expelled due to drugs. The drug dogs were in more than ever. But still nothing was done about the art work produced when it was called to her attention. So I resorted back to dropping the project, hinding it, reclaiming it.
One thing though the drug forse of the p[olice did come by every now and then and want to know names of students who were trying to make questionable projects.

Ann

---