Re: "school appropriate" also Art&fear thoughts

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 05:45:10 PDT

E Jane Beckwith wrote:
> How much do you think about what is/is not "school appropriate?" What
> does that term mean to you?

Hi Jane,
        Woody here in KC: I think school appropriate differs with each one of us.
Of course it varies depending upon the age level we teach. Also, one
group of
kids might be better able to or ready to handle a sensitive subject than another
group. More so, I find that teachers differ in there ability to approach certain
topics well than other teachers. I watched the movie "Pollack" last
night for the
first time. There are portions I plan to show to my students, there are other
portions which of course I would never. This topic of "school
appropriate" should
be part of discussion in art ed classes and our inservice training. But,
I doubt we
would ever arrive at a consensus as to what was school appropriate.
        Mice made from tampax would probably not be school appropriate, Woody
in KC

--
This one soars: