Re: Fwd: sketchbooks and motivation

---------

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 05:24:13 PDT

Beth,

I find that we have the same problem. Sometimes I even inform
students that unless I see work in sketchbook first, they will
not receive any paper for the final project. You are probably
talking about doing outside work. I did a exercise this last
year where I had my students do varioius drawings in class, ex.
gesture. I timed them and we discussed what the outcome was in
time given. Then I did a 10 minute timed drawing in sketchbook
, result was a simple contour drawing with little detail. Most
students were successful here. When I assigned a 30 minute
drawing outside with specific subject in mind, I referred back
to the 10 minute drawing. I stated that there needed to be more
detail, attention given to value, and surroundings. If I got
back a drawing similiar to the 10 minute drawing we did in
class, then they only completed 1/3 of the outside sketchbook
assignment. I feel sometimes that I hate having to resort to
this tactic but I also feel I am trying to show them that if
their boss gives them a job to do and knows it will take 1 week
to do it, they shouldnt finish in 1 day. Quality is sometimes
the most important. I know quantity is too but just dont feel
it is as strong here. If someone has better ideas on the
sketchbooks , please share. We use our sketchbooks for
everything, I even have them take digital photos of work and
place in sketchbook. I so much easier for me to do this at home
from sketchbook than to take all those projects home, which I
try not to do often anyhow.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

unknown

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street