Re: Fwd: Student says I'm done

---------

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 18:13:51 PDT

Wayne,

This happens at the high school level also and I will admit one
of the hardest for me to deal with. I usually suggest others
ways to improve their work. I tell them they have a talent but
if they refuse to develop it to the fullest, they are not really
giving me their best. At the beginning of the year I give all
students the senerios of different students then have them
evaluate the students. By the time we finish the excercise,
they understand that just to put it on paper and not continue to
improve while given the time to is not the best. Therefore,
their grade is not the best. I have on student who understood
two point perspective very well, threw something on the paper
that was "Mickey Mouse" for his ability. Then student #2 had
hard time with 2-pt but worked deligently on adding
texture/details to everything. The first students work looked
a lot like the "Dungeon and Dragons" layouts, and not as much
detail. Who do you think got the better grade. Both received
about the same, but not high A's. I do grade hard but students
are aware of my expectations up front. My pride student this
last year let me push her, in the end, she received a 4 rating
(gold medal) at our state art competition. I firmly believe you
have to tell your students what you expect, and Don't back down.
 Yes we want that nice piece of work to display, but also feel
that we want to send students out who know that to be the best,
you give it your best, not just do something to say I am done.
Heck, as a teacher / supervisor, I am striving to always do
more. I want to be the best. Isn't this the attitude that
employers want to see. So shouldn't I expect the same from
those I am preparing for the workforce.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

unknown

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street